20 October 2006

What I've Been Up To...


The Store, the bags, the sale?

Well friends, what you see above is one of our lovely shoebags that we sold! Thanks Aimee! How very exciting. Visit the store to see the others.

We also added a new addition to our shop:



Matching lavender sachets for The Shoebag! The lavender is from All Things Lavender in Pike's Market, Seattle - it smells so good. I love them, they're so darn cute.



Last weekend I went to the Domino Bazaar + met a really nice Brazilian woman who was interested in interior design. I also met Jennifer Rubell after she demonstrated one of her yummy desserts. She was cool.


I also bought her book. Good stuff.



Afterwards, I took the 2 train uptown to the Musuem of the City of New York to see the Black Style exhibition. There was a panel of sistas discussing the representation of women in hip hop. The conversation was geared to younger sistas and it was so enlightening. I hadn't really understood how much I've grown - I am a Black woman (not a girl) and it is so fantastic!

The exhibition was really good, here are some of my favorites:

Byron Lars shirtdress 1991.


Michael Butler cocktail dress 2006

Kai Mills gown 2006.




And this is the designer Ann Lowe. She opened her fashion salon in the 1930s in Harlem. Isn't she fabulous!


A little fashion history. Did you remember that the first Black woman on the cover of Vogue was Naomi Campbell and the year? 1989. Go ahead Naomi! How sad that it took that long, eh?


Then I walked in Harlem where I spotted these in a tree:

I love hidden treasures. Those birds must be so happy.


I am thinking of treating myself to a few goodies this month. Here's a thought:

Scent
either Lemon Sugar

from Fresh

or Ginger Essence
from Origins





Well today is my day - woo hoo! The little one and I are going to hang out - maybe watch a movie or two and I might even bake her some dog treats from the Three Dog Bakery book.

Oh yeah, there's a fesitval (Brooklyn Peace Fair ) this weekend. My samba school will hold a workshop at 2:00PM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home