08 September 2006

Must...sleep..now


Too tired to write tonight. Went to two amazing art openings though. Okay, maybe I can write just a bit...

I've never participated in the Chelsea art madness, all I know is that ever so often I have to wade through throngs of raving art lovers - just to make it off of 10th Avenue. Today, Barb mentioned that there were two openings and I must say they were up my alley.


Aperture opened with an exhibit of Lola Alvarez Bravo's work. She was a Mexican photographer/artist/filmmaker and a friend of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera - her black and white photos are stunning!

In this overly saturated, technicolor world I'd forgotten the beauty of black, white, gray and shadows. Her work ranged from political to funny to breathtaking beauty. I want to take mi esposo's mom.

The second show was radically different - a friend of a friend of Barb's (how many degrees separated is that one?) makes these large "paintings" out of carved wood. Confused? Well, so was I until I saw it. She carves different woods and pieces them together like a jigsaw puzzle. The contrasting colors result in images like a traditional painting. The process is called marquetry - isn't it refreshing to learn something new everyday.

I am quite pleased to have joined in a New York ritual that I habitually shun. Funny enough, I'm on a roll...tomorrow I plan on checking out the Dada exhibit at MOMA with my mom in law.

On a much lighter and more superficial note I saw the car of my immediate fantasies on the road today - twice. Oh Toyota, how I covet your FJ6. I originally thought New Yorkers would be horrified by the design and shy away from it, leaving me enough time to save up and buy the puppy. Hopefully it won't become too popular.

Anyway it's really past my bedtime. More manana.

New York today: Thumbs up (who knew - thank you Chelsea art scene)

Nighty night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fela, I'm lovin' this blog idea thing. where have i been? in the dark ages? I want one! You're a trendsetter with me girlfriend! love you and hope we can walk later.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home