12 September 2006

Gone

They are gone. Until last year whenever I looked over from Brooklyn to Manhattan, I saw the Twin Towers. Maybe I couldn't let go because they were completed in 1972 - the year I was born (as well as most of my friends). Whatever the reason, I saw their shadows for years after they fell; it was almost as if they were ghost buildings.

Last year for the first time, I didn't see them. I tried to will myself to see their outline and eventually I could sort of imagine where they had been. Today, I cannot.

We all have stories from that day. That morning, Uma and I walked to the park. It was a beautiful day. I remember the moment I felt the ground shake in Fort Greene park. I was chatting with a neighbor and this young woman ran past us mumbling something about a plane and the Twin Towers. I scoffed - she obviously didn't know what she was talking about.

Now that I think back on it, there had been a few people randomly entering the park (without dogs - which is weird for that time of morning) and going up on the hill by the monument. We climbed the hill and took our place beside the other dogs and people. All the dogs were silent and sitting. My first conscious thought was of the poor messengers and Fed Ex workers.

Within seconds I was running down the hill because I thought of two of my best friends. One lived a few blocks north of the Towers, the other worked a few blocks south. I knew the building was going to fall and would go either north or south. I knew they both had to get out.

They both did.

Mi novio (we weren't married then) rushed to meet me. His mother called and told him what had happened (funny how the news reached other countries faster, huh). We walked home with Uma and spent the rest of the morning in disbelief. I refused to look out of our bedroom window to watch the Towers fall. I just remember the relief of hearing that my father was safe at work, my sister was safe, our families and all of our friends were safe.

We lost one person from our class at high school. He was too young.

This September 11th, I was glad to spend time with my dog, my new friend from New Orleans (she escaped the other tragedy - Katrina), my esposo and my father.

I miss New York before that day.

And I miss those buildings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home