08 November 2006

The Traveler




Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. Those who know me well, know that I am a notoriously late packer. I do my best packing three hours before my car comes to whisk me off to the airport.

Everything else about my packing experience is methodical though. I recently found a typed packing list for a trip from New York City to Dusseldorf from 1992. The list was printed on fabulous handmade coffee colored paper. No detail was overlooked, from the cotton balls, to my shades of lipstick to the brands of jeans I brought along.

I love the possibilites of packing. I revel in my daydreams of where I'll be when I decide to break out my clingy, red wrap dress or whether my strappy 3-inch heels will take me through a night of dancing or will I wear them to dinner at the hotel followed by grappa.

Recently my packing has taken a turn.

Like a lot of things in life, I understand that change...happens. We don't eat the same things we ate 10 years ago - our tastes evolve. I just recently started eating brussel sprouts - thanks Anita. And even more recently, after our samba parade I ate and enjoyed beets; they used to be my arch enemy.

Well since mi esposo came into my life I've become a co-dependent packer. Maybe it's because he's so damn good at fitting four pairs of shoes, my Muji speakers and countless skirts and pants into a ridiculously small space...maybe that's why I can't pack a freakin bag all by myself anymore. Yeah maybe that's it.

Whatever the reason, like almost everything else, he excels at packing.

This summer we embarked on our first "official" vacation as a couple. No real obligations (just a really good wedding) and plenty of time to be together. Two weeks away from home and I was determined to bring only one bag.

Thankfully I found this article, which I photocopied and shrunk down to fit in my little day planner:

PACKING LIGHT
How a woman can travel with almost nothing

1. Forget tops and pants (denim aside). Bring dresses instead. Commit to a monochromatic wardrobe.

2. Limit yourself to two pairs of shoes: one pair of ballet flats (my favorites) and one pair of stacked-heel platform sandals.

3. Wear your workout sneakers on the plane...
Okay, if you know me, you know that is NEVER an option. I'm sorry but I don't believe in sneakers as part of a travel outfit. Unless you're...actually there's never ever ever ever a reason for that. Never.

4. Get Muji's jersey-covered inflatable neck pillow.

5. An MZ Wallace tote or messenger bag doubles as a carry-on and working bag Comme des Garcons' bright leather makeup bags make a good evening clutch.



6. Don't bring shampoo, conditioner or body wash- every hotel has these amenities.
Okay, I totally disagree. As a woman with curly hair, I need my own products and unless I'm staying in my own bathroom, I need to know that there's Molton Brown and Seba Med to wash up with...mmmmmm Seba Med.

7. Sleep naked. Hotels also supply bathrobes. Okay I tried sleeping in the giant fluffy robe at the last hotel we stayed in -The Fairmont in Seattle. It was okay, except I wanted total coverage so I tied the robe with the giant tie (not the most comfortable night of sleep).

8. Consolidate medications or vitamins by dispensing the right number of pills and dumping them all into a Ziploc bag. Hmmm...not too sure about that. Muji makes a perfectly functional pill case.



Overall what I got from this little list of rules, was pack light. Or more importantly, pack everything in one bag. Now that doesn't mean that I will stop carrying my slippers or Havaianas (they double as bedroom slippers in hotel rooms) or packing all my shoes in my Shoe-In shoebags. It does mean that I have streamlined my packing/traveling process.

After all isn't life about evolving?

More to come later......

Nighty night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fela in New York said...

Okay Freaky Mc Freakson, that's some spam. Please don't click on that link.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home